Saturday, March 20, 2010

Bad Combination

There's a reason that it's good (IMO) to ride in the morning, especially when it's warm. Other than the obvious temperature-related issue one of the biggest hinderances to my performance on the bike is simply nutrition, or poor preparation of such.

Today was a good example. My wife told me that I was NOT going riding but was going to Busch Gardens (I live very near Williamsburg, VA) for opening day for season pass holders. Jack Hanna was there doing a special show with wild animals. Cool, I thought. Great show. After the show we walked around the park doing stuff here and there. It started out nice but got warm and sunny quick. I stayed until early afternoon and got home around 2:15 or so. I wanted to get in 60-70 miles so when I got home I got everything together and headed out the door.....without properly eating.

About and hour-and-a-half out I started to deal with some wind, was feeling kind of dry and thirsty,legs burning a bit... a bad combination of warning signs. 30 minutes later and I realized it was going to be hard to get home. I wasn't doing loops so that meant I had 2 hrs of riding before I could eat.

Lesson? Either ride early so you can control you nutrition or take some stuff with you - you will pay if you don't do either of these. Let's just hope it doesn't mess with me tomorrow on my ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment